[AT] firewood

Ed Stewart edstewart1 at verizon.net
Sat Nov 25 19:58:26 PST 2006

Hi, I live about ten mile west of the eastern continental divide in PA.
I heat with wood and backup with oil. I burn redoak, black or
rockoak,and whiteoak, Black birch(which I like best because of the
amount of charcoal it makes) Soft maple, hard or sugar maple, beech,
black cherry some popular, cucumber. the eastern pines have to much
pitch even though they burn hot, they will load the chimney with cresote
and then catch fire. which has burned many houses in its day. My furnace
is outside the house and all the mess stays out there also which is much
better than it used to be with the stoves indoors. We also have a lot of
quaking aspen here but it will not burn till dry and then it burns like
gunpowder, It was a favorite of my mothers for baking biscuits in the
wood cook stove when I was a kid, it burned fast and hard and had the
oven up to baking heat quick and then went out so the kitchen didn't get
to hot..It takes me about 12 pickup loads of wood for the winter here. Ed