[AT] Cockshutt 40

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sat Nov 25 09:43:28 PST 2006

Original Message -----
From: John Hall <jthall at worldnet.att.net>
To: Antique tractor email discussion group <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 25, 2006 7:00 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] Cockshutt 40

> I've run into rim bolts befoe that had to be driven out with a big punch
but
> never heated.  I think we've even had to replace some due to corrosion.
> Wonder how well an impact hammer would do at breaking them loose? That's a
> tool I don't have but have often considered getting.
>
> John
Slightly off topic here but this problem with the tractor wheel bolts is
similar to the problem I'm having with the old Case hammer mill that I use
to grind cattle feed. The bearing behind the drive pulley is loose and in
need of replacement but I have been unable to loosen the nut holding the
pulley on the shaft. I've deformed the special socket type wrench that came
with the mill for this purpose (six foot bar on the end was too much torque)
so now I can't get a wrench on the nut. Added to the difficulty is that the
nut is inset to the pulley which means no way to get an open end or pipe
wrench on it. Also, the pulley is cast and a little brittle after all these
years as I discovered when I accidentally broke a small piece off the edge.
I've come to the conclusion that I will have to cut the nut off to get the
pulley off. Having found a suitable replacement nut for the inch and a half
shaft I have already spent quite a few hours with files and hacksaw blades
and it looks like I've got a ways to go yet.
Fortunately I am still able to use the mill even with the loose bearing so
this is turning into a "winter project". Little too cold for it today at 0
degrees

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/