[AT] firewood

Larry Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Sat Nov 25 06:31:37 PST 2006

There are some things about the design of traditional farm houses in
northern and eastern Europe that are really kind of neat, Mattias.
The concept of a single hearth that "does everything", is one of
those.  Making the cooking area large enough to walk into, and
having it double as the heating system for the whole house, is also
efficient.  In addition, the tapered flue is used for smoking meats
and as storage.  Once you have seen one of those houses, it puts a
whole new meaning to "central heat" and the idea that Santa Claus
(Father Christmas) could in fact come down the chimney.

We used to have similar farm houses in this country, too, but in
this age of modern systems we've lost that way of living.

Larry

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006, =?Iso-8859-1?Q?Mattias_kess=E9n?= wrote...