[AT] oliver bugs

Grant Brians gbrians at hollinet.com
Fri Nov 24 22:23:39 PST 2006

Kevin, I am partial to Olivers for several reasons. The first is that
despite the fact that they were made by a small company, the quality of both
mechanical and appearance design was very good. The Fleetline/Super series
were the absolute best cultivating tractors for row crops, possibly ever
built. They went from a zero share of the Salinas Valley and other
California Vegetable areas market to a major player, outselling John Deere,
International and all others for many years. There was a reason.... However
the others did catch up to a degree and their marketing and financial
resources were bigger and there were later management mistakes....
    I did not answer your axle size question because I have 77's not 70's.
Also, there are at least a dozen Oliver aficianados on the ATIS list. I see
lots of Olivers working in the fields still here in California despite the
fact they were last sold in 1975. Were there issues withOlivers? Sure, just
like all brands. Bottom line though is that there is room for all brands in
the collecting universe and the Oliver 44, Super 44 and 440 are all really
rare, so they are worth preserving. Are they cute? yep. Are they the best
tractors in the world to use? Probably not to most, but probably to the
person who NEEDS one.
    Soapbox off, but lets all see what we can do to be a happy group.
        Grant Brians
        Hollister, California
P.S. I do have a sad story about our Super 77 Oliver Diesel. The crack I
found in the side of the final drive case turned out to be SERIOUS. The
casting cracked side to side! I need to come up with a new casting soon as
the rest of the tractor is in excellent shape after its 51 years of use.