[AJD] sparkplugs- problem - failures - maintenance - new technology

Duane Larson jdlarson at comcast.net
Thu Nov 16 21:16:45 PST 2006

Kreig,
I'll take a shot at your questions, but keep in mind spark plug discussions
are a first cousin to religion and politics discussions.
1) Why do plugs go bad?  A bad plug normally means one which will not
produce a spark to ignite a gas/air mixture.  This can be due to several
reasons, including 1) a cracked or broken porcelain but more commonly 2) an
insulating covering of combustion products interfering with production of
the spark at the plug gap, 3) a wrong size gap, ..... .  In a functional
plug the spark is supposed to occur between the center electrode and the
ground strap, but will occur at the point of least resistance and that is
not always at the gap particularly if there are cracks in the insulator.
Modern plugs tend to "go bad" more frequently than plugs manufactured when
our tractors were built because back then the insulating porcelain around
the center wire at the gap was glazed to inhibit absorption of combustion
products in the porcelain - which if that happens reduces the insulating
properties of the porcelain and allows the spark to occur elsewhere than at
the gap.  Glazing was an extra step which cost money, and as the fuel
control in automobiles became stricter, flooding of engines became unusual
and glazing was basically eliminated.  However, our tractors tend to run
rich (partly as a result of getting them to idle down) and that results in
the porcelain absorbing the combustion products (including oil from
less-than-ideal engine condition).  Besides less than optimum spark plugs,
other components of the ignition system can cause problems, including use of
carbon-core plug wires (copper core wires should be used), corroded
connections at the plug wires, and having the coil connected backwards in a
distributor ignition system.  These can be easily corrected.

2) I don't know that plugs go bad in Deere's more often than other
tractors - I don't think the plug knows where it is located so it would be
the matters discussed in 1) (running rich, other electrical issues) in
addition to the matter of often depending on a thermosyphon system to bring
the engine to operating temperature.  Most other brands use a
thermostat/water pump system and can more easily cause the engine to run at
an optimum temperature and burn off combustion products.  I have a 1950 VAC
Case which is my working tractor and I don't remember the last time I
changed plugs in it, but it runs about 180 degrees when working.  Use of
antifreeze also reduces effectiveness of the thermosyphon system, and often
shutters don't work or aren't used and our Deeres don't work hard enough to
come up to 180-190 deg.  I always use the hottest spark plug I can find in
my Deeres, unless heading out to plow or other "serious" work - then I
change to a cooler plug.  It is REALLY rare to pull a plug from a Deere and
observe symptoms of a "burned" plug!!

3) Preventive maintenance - I would extend to the electrical system and
cooling system - includes removing, inspecting, and cleaning plugs.  If you
are using plugs which have glazed "noses", DO NOT use abrasive cleaners on
them - carb cleaner with a plastic scrub pad will get them back to like new.
Abrasive cleaners damage the glaze.  I don't worry too much about the crush
washers as our tractors are low enough compression that I only replace them
when they have NO "crush" left.  Functional shutters, clean cooling system,
proper plug wires and removal of corrosion are all important maintenance
features, as well as satisfying yourself that your temperature gauge/sensor
is working.

4) Modern technology - is for modern technology - I see no advantage unless
someone is back to glazing noses again and I doubt that is the case.
Speaking as a plug collector there are no new ideas in plugs that I have
seen.  My solution to the plug matter is to run two-piece take apart plugs
like came in our tractors (for example, Champion 2ComL 7/8" plugs were made
into 1961 when they were replaced by the one-piece W18).  My GPs mostly
parade but sometimes plow, and I take them apart, clean the porcelain, and
reassemble (takes about 5 min/plug) - and presto, I have new plugs.  I have
had the same set in my '31 GP now since1994 and they work fine.  The problem
is they cost $15-$20 apiece now and folks don't seem to want to pay that
much for a plug.  Modern technology has given us resistor plugs which are
necessary for modern automobiles but bad stuff for old tractors.  The
Autolite 386 and 388 18mm plugs are favored by collectors but they are both
resistor plugs - I would use the Autolite 3116 - about the same heat range
but non-resistor.  I haven't used any of the "tricks" like plug extenders,
long reach modern plugs with adapters, etc., for the reasons mentioned above
so can't comment on those.  I don't think AC-Delco is making many plugs
anymore, so Champion and Autolite (and Stitt if you want a REAL expensive
plug) are the "US" brands left.

Sorry for the length - this may not even go through.  I'm sure others will
have other opinions.

Regards,
Duane Larson