[AT] "Boiling a block" with babbitt bearings

James Yost jnyost at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 16 05:25:49 PST 2006

Richard,

Babbitt is pourable about 725 degrees F as I recall.
Give or take a few degrees. Hot tanks are not that hot
or even close. They are 150 degrees F +-. Usually you
can stick your hand in the tank and not get burnt. You
would not want to leave your hand in there very long.
I have had several engines dipped and "I" have not
seen any harm to the Babbitt.

My 2 cents worth.

Jim