[AT] Cub--shouldn't have broken my resolution....

John Wilkens jwilkens at eoni.com
Sun Nov 12 19:53:23 PST 2006

Too many projects...so I told myself (and my wife) NO MORE old
tractor purchases unless I can hear them run.  Well, I broke my
promise and bought a nice looking little Cub....not running.   I
checked compression which was pretty good (4 x 75 lbs), worked over
the carb and filled the radiator with antifreeze and water.  No leaks
showed up.  Started it up and it runs on the back two cylinders
only.  The front two spark plugs have good strong spark.  I tried
several sets of clean plugs.  A shot of starting fluid into the carb
would not cause any response from the front two cylinders.  The head
has been freeze cracked on the top and repaired rather well.  No
leaks.   I had the head off and could see no leaks or problems
there.   BUT, here's what I need help with:  after running it awhile
on the back two cylinders I noticed a small leak in the top radiator
tank.  When I took a close look I saw that the leak--out of the
radiator--was crankcase oil--not milky white but slightly yellow
color.  When I opened the radiator drain cock I got about a pint of
plain water (no antifreeze mix) out and then it slowed down to a
trickle of yellowish oil.  So far it has drained about 1 1/2 gal. of
the "yellow oil" and quit draining.  I put air to the drain cock and
hear air in the radiator but no more fluid in there.  The fresh oil I
put in the crankcase is down about 1/2 qt..  I drained about 1/2 qt.
oil from the crankcase and it still looks clean--no water in the
bottom as usual when you get water in the oil.  As far as I can tell
none of the gallon of antifreeze has come out.  A touch of of the
"yellow oil" to my tongue doesn't have any sweet antifreeze
taste.   So I'm stumped...really stumped, and could sure use some
help!       John W.

                    In the wide-open spaces of NE Oregon