[AJD] Model B Rod Torque

Mike Scholl buck69_hunter at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 10 10:40:44 PST 2006

Regarding shims...

Several years ago a neighbor asked me to get his '37 B back to a usable
state.  The engine ran, but had a bad piston knock as a result of bad rod.
My wife's grandfather had a good replacement rod in his shed, but I also
needed to find shims.

I didn't take much to locate a couple of rolls of brass shim-stock (of
varying thicknesses).  I simply cut the shims from that stock and I was good
to go.  Any good machine shop should be able to point you to a source of
shim stock.

Although it's a cheap alternative, I would NOT recommend using beer can
metal as aluminum and iron chemically react with each other and can cause
problems down the road.

Good Luck,
Mike