SPAM-LOW: Re: [Ford-ferguson] Re: NAA Grader Blade

Randy Hoch randy at marstal.com
Fri Nov 10 16:51:25 PST 2006

Great story.

-----Original Message-----
From: ford-ferguson-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com
[mailto:ford-ferguson-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com] On Behalf Of Don
Brown
Sent: Friday, November 10, 2006 3:46 PM
To: Ford-Ferguson mailing list
Subject: SPAM-LOW: Re: [Ford-ferguson] Re: NAA Grader Blade

Dave:  I used to do a lot of writing so if this is a bit long winded,
please excuse me, but my reply is more of a chronological story.
In 1983 we built a new home.  Built in the sense that I acted as
general contractor and lead carpenter.  Once the house was finished
there was the landscape/lawn to consider.  The pad for our house was
raised 30" above the mean level of the street so we had a lot of fill
(sand) to deal with.  I convinced my wife that we needed a Bolens
tractor with a 4' bucket for the three point system.  Now a 4' bucket
doesn't take a big bite and sometimes the Bolens couldn't move the
load but I learned to work with what I had, knowing it was a lot
easier than using a shovel and wheel barrow.
Let's skip forward seventeen years, two years after I retired.  My
wife was not about to move but she went along with the purchase of a
small farm so I could keep busy; I'm not interested in shuffle
board.  The farm consisted of a perimeter fence, a road and a couple
of ponds, nothing more.  I wanted a place to stay, one that my wife
would be comfortable in, and a shop.  Livestock would come
later.  The spot for the structure was the remains of some dozer work
that had been done many years ago and consisted of a large pile of
friable soil and tree logs.  About this time I inherited a Ford 640
tractor that was not in running condition.  I hauled the tractor to a
fellow I knew who worked on such machines and in a couple of months I
had, operating, the largest tractor I had ever owned.
I took my 4'  box blade, which hadn't  been used in years and
attached it to the 640; a nice fit.  As I did with the Bolens and the
4' blade so I adjusted to the 640 and the 4' blade.  I pulled logs
with the draw bar and leveled soil with the blade.  Sometimes, even
with the 640, I still got more of a bite than the tractor was
balanced to handle and the tires spun.  But I knew that what I had to
work with was a lot faster than using the Bolens.  So we built a
building and graded our road.
Now let's skip forward to 2004.  By this time we had cross fencing, a
water well, a cow barn, shop, apartment,  and several head of
cattle.  Life was good ---but, the cow barn has a loft where we keep
the 50 lb. sacks of cubes that we fed the cows.  It was really hard
on the back of a fellow in his seventies , getting those cubes up in
that loft.  I really needed a tractor with a front end loader to lift
those cubes.  My wife's the greatest so in the fall of 2004 we were
blessed with a new 65 hp tractor.  Well it wasn't long until the road
needed grading but this time I knew that I could pull the much used
4' blade behind our new, more powerful, tractor.  So I attached the
4' blade and commenced to grade, for a short while, then the blade
rotated about the two lower pins, forced the top link down and,
fortunately, did not ruin anything but, of course, failed to work.  I
had overpowered our 4" blade.  So, I put the 4' blade back on the 640
and the match did a good job of grading the road.
Now I'm about to begin building an entrance to our place; lots of
pipe, old implement wheels, a cattle guard and a nice gate under a
bow arch complete with our address.  But you know, what I really need
is a Bobcat with a hydraulic post hole digger up front where I don't
have to turn around to watch it dig.   I thought about that then I
realized that it just might be time for me to appreciate what I have,
including my wife, and adjust one final thing, myself.

The point of all this is that each of the several people who
responded have probably adjusted to their equipment and are
happy.  You will probably enjoy whatever you eventually settle on.  I
applaud people who work hard to improve their lot but I feel sorry
for those who are not happy knowing they have done the best they can
at any particular time.
Good luck from an old man who began working 48 hours a week, in a
dairy, at age 14.  I didn't mind the work but I still don't like
getting up at 3 a.m.

At 02:00 PM 11/10/2006, you wrote