[AT] new to list

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Thu Nov 9 17:19:33 PST 2006

Paul:

If he found some passages that were plugged, there probably is at least one
that is still plugged. Boiling the carburetor typically will not get these
cleaned out. The right sized drill in all passages is required. Some are
hidden. Sometimes with the lack of the correct drill sizes and lengths
running wire through all the passages may get the crud to loosen up. But the
passage size must be restored to original. I guess there is a better than
90% chance there is at least one passage still plugged. Compressed air
probably won't get it either.

Do you have a good exploded drawing of the innards of the carburetor and
where all the passages run?  There may be one or more that is adequately
hidden that is being missed. Since this has been this way for a long time it
may be really corroded and stuck.  I have overhauled many JD carburetors
successfully and the symptoms you describe are almost always (90% or more) a
plugged passage somewhere.

Roberts Carburetor Repair in Spencer, IA sells a couple videos, repair parts
and repair tools such as the correct sized long drill bits for JD Carburetor
repair. These may be of value. They cover the hidden passages in the video.

http://www.robertscarbrepair.com/

I recommend them highly. They are a professional shop, I have visited twice,
and unlike most other carburetor repair shops, they test the carburetor for
proper performance on a live engine to ensure "to specification" operation
before they send it back. Unfortunately, they are so highly respected within
the JD community that their backlog is huge and repair lead times are way
out there. The video's may lead you to the plugged passage. Even a phone
call to Robert Beaver might cause him to point you in the right direction.
He is most helpful on the phone.

PS: I would not recommend any carburetor repair shop that does not test the
carburetor on a live engine prior to sending it back. I have no connection
to Roberts at all. Just a very satisfied customer. If you could find a known
good carburetor to temporarily try would probably be well worth the effort.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

"Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes."

www.deerelegacy.com