[AJD] Model B Rod Torque

Dave Ernst shop at cccomm.net
Wed Nov 8 06:44:11 PST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "bill gray" <billgrayalt at yahoo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 9:40 PM
Subject: RE: [AJD] Model B Rod Torque

> Lou,
>  Thanks I will try that torque.  The manual I had just said to tighten the
> bolts. You are correct the shims are available from Deere at ners $40.00
> each. I may try the beer can plan mentioned by Bill Brueck.
>
> Louis Spiegelberg <louis at kellnet.com> wrote:
>  Bill,
>
> According to my IT manual; the torque should be 62.5 ft-lb.

Just how many torque wrenches do you suppose were out there when the model B
was made?
The advent of the torque tightening method circumvented the use of castle
nuts. When I do an engine overhaul, no castle nuts-then torque.  Castle
nuts, then tighten.
Set the clearances you want, tighten the nut wrench tight, install cotter
pin and call it good.
Dave