[AJD] Model B Rod Torque

bill gray billgrayalt at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 7 21:34:08 PST 2006

Bill ,
  Thanks for the input. The Shims are laminated with .003" thick wafers. I will try to get the other dimentions tomorrow.
  I thought the same as you, when I removed the rods I was prepared to remove some of the shims but when I checked the fit with Plastigage I found the gap was nearer .002 than .003 on the # 1 piston rod.  The fit on #2 was good.  I purchased this tractor last year and it was obvious that it had had some engine work in  the past.  I can only assume some if the shims had been removed at that time.

  Unfortunately I have had to go further into the engine than I had planned.  I only planned to replace the manifold, the muffler, and the airstack.  The previous owner had cut the flange off of the manifold and mounted a muffler with a coupling such that it pointed down towards the ground and the airstack had been broken off.  In the process of replacing the manifold I broke off several bolts so I removed the head for repair. Then I noticed the block attachment bolts were loose so I removed it and found the gasket was shot (the reason for sgnificant oil deposits on top of the engine I assume).  I then found the block needed boring so I am now into a total engine rebuild. Such is life with old tractors!

Bill Brueck <b2 at chooka.net> wrote:
  Over on the stationary engine list they claim beer cans make the best
shimstock. Or maybe it's the process that makes it so desirable.

I've never had the need for more shims, since as engines wear you take shims
out, not put more in. I bought a whole box of shims years ago at an
auction. If you send me a picture and dimensions maybe I have what you
need.

B²

Bill Brueck (brick)
Chatfield, MN, USA

Confusion is a higher state of knowledge than ignorance.