[AJD] Best source for D fenders and radiator

Michael Ostrander antiquejd at fwi.com
Tue Nov 7 11:11:54 PST 2006

Brandon-
I think you will find that no one carries an exact replacement for radiator
cores.  It would be a custom radiator.  I say that only because when I
restored the Experimental Wide-Tread I wanted to be as original as possible.
I went to the radiator shop in town and discovered that Deere
sold/licensed/whatever to a company the dimensions for their cores.  On the
GP, if memory serves, it was 4-1/2 fins per inch.  The best I could order
was 5 fins per inch.  It was roughly $220 shipped.  It arrived the day after
ordering.  Gaskets were also available for $11?  They are made in Michigan.
Most radiator shops if left to order by outside dimensions, will get you
something that fits but at a higher fin per inch.  Great for cooling, lousy
for originality.  If I ordered the 4-1/2, the cost jumped to $1100.  Not
worth the difference to me and I doubt if it is visible to 999 out of 1000
collectors.

Cant speak to Detwilers D fenders but can say without hesitation they are
the nearest to original for GP's.  He is the only one so far to have put the
seam in as they were first done.

Michael Ostrander
Licensed Insurance Consultant
InsureOurFamily.com
A member of America's Health Care Professionals (AHCP)
877-821-5519 Office Toll-Free
260-625-3314 Office
260-625-4353 Fax
260-385-5844 Cell
www.InsureOurFamily.com

"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give..."
Winston Churchill