[AT] Battery Issues - Charging

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Tue Nov 7 04:14:30 PST 2006

I think those new chargers were designed to be idiot proof first and how
well the work is secondary.  I needed to run a small 12 volt battery
recently and didn't have a good battery around.  The Charger wouldn't run it
directly but I hooked the charger to a dead battery and hooked the motor to
it and it worked fine.

Sunday a friend of mine was trying to charge the battery on his 265 MF
without taking the cover off the battery.  He hooked the + to the BAT lug on
the starter and the - to the chassis and called me to ask if that was ok.
He wanted to make sure he wasn't about to burn something up.  I asked him
which charger he was using.  He said that little one I bought from WalMart
last year.  I said, don't worry it won't hurt anything.  If you hook them up
wrong they won't work and I guess for folks that buy them and don't know
what they are doing  that is a good thing.  Sure takes the fun out of it
though.

Charlie