[AT] Old IH hammer mill

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Fri Nov 3 19:11:53 PST 2006

10-inch is about the size ours was too, Ralph.  We had fixed hammers
that were about 1/4" thick (6 mm).  They were arranged on paired spokes
every 90 degrees.  Now, I run an 8-hp Bear Cat chipper/shredder that
uses mower knife sections to do the cutting.  Knowing how much finer the
ground material comes out compared to the size of the holes in the
screen, it would probably be acceptable to run grain through the Bear
Cat for livestock.  Tomorrow, I've got to get it out and set up for
turning the magnolia leaves into mulch.  As a part of the last tractor
deal I made, I acquired the remains of a 3-point mounted Trac-Vac.
Yesterday, I traded for the remains of a brand-new Trac-Vac that is
missing the engine.  Since the engine and the mount are about all that
was left of the original one, I'm going to be able to put together a
system for blowing or collecting leaves, mice, dead birds, and stray
cats!  I worked a couple of hours on it tonight and will pick up new
ignition components tomorrow to get that much of it back in condition.
I'll replace the gas tank, clean out the carburetor, and then I'll be
ready to start the engine.  I would normally flush the rust out of the
tank rather than replace it, but I already have one in my "inventory" so
I may as well use it.

Larry