[Farmall] Starter motor: troubleshooting?

E. John Puckett ejpuckett at centurytel.net
Thu Nov 2 16:56:16 PST 2006

This problem happens when either  the starter drive or ring gear teeth
become become blunt on the end and lock up end to end instead of
engaging.  If the problem is the drive teeth, the drive is easy to
change.  If it is the ring gear teeth on the flywheel, you can replace
it, remove the ring gear and turn it some and reinstall or use a dremall
tool through the starter hole to reshape the teeth.  If you have the
tractor split, you can use a 4 or 4 1/2 inch grinder to reshape them.
The teeth will be damaged in 2 places on the ring gear, 180 degrees from
each other, since this is where the engine stops between compression
strokes most of the time.