Sticky digicam (was [AT] OT

Chuck Saunders gooberdog at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 05:37:28 PST 2006

>From Wikipedia
The name comes from that of the original manufacturer: S. Sternau & Co. of
Brooklyn NY, a maker of
chafing-dishes<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chafing-dish>,
coffee percolators <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_percolator> and
other similar appliances. They had previously applied the name to their
"Sterno-Inferno" alcohol burner. In 1918 they promoted their Sterno Stove as
being a perfect gift for a soldier going overseas.

Invented around 1900, Sterno is made from
ethanol<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol>,
methanol <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol>, water and an
amphoteric<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphoteric_%28chemistry%29>oxide
gelling
agent <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gel>, plus a dye that gives it a
characteristic pink color. Designed to be odorless, a seven ounce (198g) can
will burn for up to two hours.

Sterno has long been mixed with water and other liquids to produce a drink
called "canned heat", "squeeze" or "pink lady". The product is squeezed
through a rag to extract the alcohol. These alcoholic beverages, primarily
used in poorer communities, have been linked to numerous deaths, including
31 people in Philadelphia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia> in
1963 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1963>.
I'll let Charlie do the rest of the story
Chuck Saunders
Kansas City