[Farmall] Polarity Change Directions for Dummies

Bigdog dbigdog at columbus.rr.com
Thu May 25 10:28:27 PDT 2006

Harry,
    The old 6 volt systems were positive ground.  Just connect the battery with the positive terminal to ground.  Then to polarize the system, take a jumper wire and momentarily touch it to the Batt. and Gen terminals on the voltage regulator.  You should see a slight spark when you do this.  This will polarize the generator to charge correctly.
    If the system has been wired and used negative ground, you may have to swap the leads on the ammeter so it will show charge when charging is occurring.  You can verify ammeter wiring by watching the needle when you pull the switch on or turn the lights on.  The needle should deflect slightly to the negative side when you pull the switch.