[AT] tractor fuel efficiency

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Fri May 12 19:07:39 PDT 2006

On Tuesday 09 May 2006 22:06, Ken Knierim wrote:

>      Does a Caterpillar Challenger have an advantage since it
> presumably has lower slippage than a wheel tractor? Or does someone
> with an aftermarket turbocharger, intercooler and oversized pistons
> (hotrodded tractor) have an advantage? And what tricks help in this
> regard?

But you lose a lot on each corner.   Unless you notice you wheels are
spinning,  you will lose more on the corners than you could gain.   On the
road the advantage is to wheels on the straight - the smaller ground contact
patch allows for less rolling resistance.   The advantage of the tracks is
more in the lower ground compaction factor than the traction - if the ground
is too soft for the wheeled tractor you shouldn't chance the tracks, even if
it would work.

Each modification you listed can help or hurt.   Depends on too many factors.

>      My Dad never tweaked on the diesels we had around; does changing
> the timing gain anything in the fuel economy department? And if so,
> does it cause other side effects (like the engine running hot or

Maybe, once again, there are too many factors.   Everything is a trade off,
you can get better fuel economy if you don't mind blowing your engine up
every day.   Most people can't afford a new engine every day, so we tune
things down a little.