[AJD] Oversized pistons for my 36 AR

Chris C jdnutinwa at yahoo.com
Fri May 12 15:03:05 PDT 2006

   Just a little follow up on my piston dilema for my
36 AR.  I spent some time today calling piston
suppliers and got some helpful information from
Heinrich's Repair (speeling may be wrong)

   I could not find anyone that specifically made new
oversized pistons for the Unstyled A.  As it turns
out,  The late A pistons that are longer and have a
bigger wirst pin will still fit in the bore and stroke
of my AR.  It will raise my compression to 6.5:1,
which I am told will allow the tractor to burn Gas
better,  and Kerosene worse..  I don't plan on running
Kero. anyway,  so that is ok with me.

    So really all I need to do is have my old rods
reamed to accomdate the larger pin and install in the
tractor.  Not nearly as big a deal as I though.  So
the machine shop was given the green flag to go ahead
today.

    Another observation I made today was that from my
36AR to the 45A,  to the late gas A,  the pistons are
all different.   The AR and 45 A are all-fuel
tractors,  but the pistons for the 45 are slightly
longer than those from the AR,  and the late A are the
longest of all.  I am going to have to re-read my A
book.  I remember the stroke being increased once..
must have been twice..

              Chris

Chris Carl
Camano Island, Washington