[Ford-ferguson] Ford 9N Tractor

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue May 9 03:55:55 PDT 2006

It was very common for the engine on a 9N/2N to be swapped out for a
rebuilt 8N engine when the old engine died (frequently because of a bad
oil pump or just plain worn out). The fact that you still have a front
mounted distributor means that it was a very early 8N engine, which is
is interesting but not important.

In theory, it is possible to modify a 6 volt regulator to put out the
13.6 volts needed to properly charge a 12 volt battery, but it is rarely
done, except in an emergency. At this point, with the odd assortment of
pieces you have, you need to decide whether you want to return to
original 6 volts or stay with 12 volts. (Of course you also have to
consider the lights too.) Unless you are really savvy with this kind of
thing, my inclination is to take the generator and regulator to a local
auto electric shop and have them look it all over. Since Ford didn't
supply a 12 generator for the 8N, someone either modified the original
or just found a later 12 volt generator that fit (or could be made to
fit somehow). A common solution to electrical problems back in the '50s
and '60s was to just abandon the generator/regulator and throw in a 12
volt battery and charge it up between uses. So it is entirely possible
that your generator is still the original one, and all you need is a new
regulator and 6 volt battery. There are lots of "unknowns" here that
need to be investigated.

Mike

Al Walker wrote:
> Thanks Mike.  I've learned something here, too.  I was under the
> impression that the number on the axle housing was supposed to be a
> match to the serial number on the engine. Mine, by the way, does not
> match. I have assumed that some P.O. had performed an engine swap prior
> to my acquisition, but for other reasons. The engine bears the tag of a
> rebuilder and has 8N as part of the number. I have a question. A P.O.
> installed a 12v generator and battery, but apparently did not change
> other components. The voltage regulator, which appears to be a six volt,
> has now fried. What would be an appropriate 12v regulator to install on
> this unit?
> Thanks.
>
> Al in NW MN
>

> Mike Sloane wrote:
>
>> That is not the serial number - that is the part number of the
>> casting, but it is still a good indication. The serial number is
>> (lightly) stamped into a flat spot on the top left side of the block,
>> in the area to the rear of the oil filter. It is usually painted over
>> or hidden by rust. It may take some gentle cleaning/rubbing to bring
>> it out.
>>
>> Mike

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
<mikesloane at verizon.net>
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
- Edward R. Murrow, journalist (1908-1965)