[Farmall] Difficult F14

birddog cvill at frontiernet.net
Sat May 6 15:36:07 PDT 2006

Ross,

Just some thoughts:

Verify proper cooling system flow thru the head.  A blockage of rust or
??? could allow head to overheat and cause over expansion of the stems
and guides.

Stand by and run it with the cover off  for a few hours.  Use a good
grade 10w30 motor oil instead of WD 40 when it starts to skip.  Maybe
they will eventually clean up.  Maybe something like Mystery oil would
work better???

When a cylinder starts to skip, get the tip of a screw driver blade or
similar tool under the valve spring and pry up a little.  Try both
intake and exhaust to see which one improves firing.  This would help
determine it it has some weak valve springs.

I have forgotten if you have tried some sort of lubricant in the fuel.
If they are simply sticky, that might help.

My first concern would be the cooling system.  If  the head is
overheating, it could cause cracking or other damage.

Just my penny and one half.
Charlie

After thought:
I don't want to jump into the deep end here, but it has been known to
happen that someone has used an incorrect head gasket which is not
punched  with all the holes to match all of the head to block water
passages.

That is something to tuck away for the event that all else fails and the
head has to be removed.