[AT] Deere plant visit

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Fri May 5 09:13:59 PDT 2006

Ron:

My knowledge of what color the JD Collector center is using comes from a
workshop I attended at the GOG in 2004. The workshop was held at the
Collector Center where they restore both tractors and implements. A question
was asked during the workshop and the Workshop leaders informed us they were
using AG Green. I think that came as a bit of surprise to most of us
attending but as I recall they stated that it really was a personal choice
depending on whether one liked the slightly darker Green or not. As I recall
they were a bit confused them selves as to when JD actually changed shades
of Green on production equipment.

I too had thought that Classic Green should be the paint of choice for our
two cylinders. But here is my theory. Many of our two cylinders have been
exposed to the sun for many years and we have become accustomed to a
slightly faded Green color. The Classic Green being not as dark as the AG
Green is probably closer to our learned perception of what the Green looks
like. When AG Green is used, being slightly darker, we question ourselves if
it is the right color. Just my theory.

Since I have so much trouble seeing colors, especially the nuances of
shades, I tend to like the AG Green only because it looks more Green to me.
God only knows how others see it but I know I don't see colors as others do.
If I were to look at two tractors parked next to each other at a show I
would have a very difficult time telling you which version of paint was
used, even if they were different. So I'm the last person on earth who
should be commenting on which color of Green should be used. I think if one
is trying to match older paint on a tractor I suspect Classic Green will
probably match the best but only because the original paint has faded a bit.
That's my theory and is not even worth $0.02 because of my eye sight color
deficiencies.

But, again I think for completely new paint jobs where everything is going
to be repainted, it really comes down to which shade of Green, AG or
Classic, you like the best.

I added all the three point components to my High Clearance 620 and before
installing them I sand blasted all the parts and painted everything Classic
Green. Upon installing the hitch I realized then that the colors didn't
match what the 620 had been painted. The 620 paint was darker. I don't know
what Green had been used on the 620 but in fact I presently think it was a
non-JD paint using too much hardener. I know it's not the original paint
job. I can see shade differences when different parts are right next to each
other. The shade differences bother me quite a bit on the 620 but I've not
bellied up to the bar to repaint the whole tractor.

Hope this explains some of the reasons why some people use AG Green.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

Forbidden fruits create many jams!

www.deerelegacy.com