[Steam-engine] PUSHME-PULLYOU Parade format!

Parker Fowler pfowljr at qwest.net
Mon May 1 16:49:59 PDT 2006

on 5/1/06 5:37 AM, EJHottel at aol.com at EJHottel at aol.com wrote:

> I can see you 2 doing the "push me, pull you"  thing!

If you are not familiar with the Fairlie double bogey steam locos used on
the Ffestiniog Railway in Wales, please take a look at
http://www.ffestiniograilway.org.uk

General Palmer bought one of these from Fairlie in the 1870s to test its
capability on the DRG.  While really adept at narrow gauge operation (each
four-wheel bogie was driven by its own two cylinder engine), our mountain
terrain was too much for the total power these locos generated.  Serving the
slate quarries in Blaenau Ffestiniog, the railway only had to pull empty
slate wagons back up the hill, down which they would run by gravity to the
seaport where the slate was loaded for transport all over Europe.

Fifty years ago a small bunch of nutz rescued the property from its derelict
state after the war, and have turned it into one of the most successful
operations of its kind in the world ... all done with volunteers.