[AT] Engine Overhaul

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Mon May 1 06:02:36 PDT 2006

On 1 May 2006 at 8:05, Mike Sloane wrote:

> I think you read too quickly. I did say that the Ford N was "good for
> plowing a couple of furrows". (meaning using a two bottom plow, not
> making only two furrows). And that is what it was expressly designed
> for. It was not designed to use with a post hole digger, mounted
> cultivators, fertilizer spreader, hay tedder, or that kind of thing. And
> if you want to use any of that kind of implement, there are better
> machines to do the job.
>
> And by the way, If Cecil Monson were around, he would agree with your
> comments - his dad had a similar pair of tractors, and, while the Ford
> would plow circles around the McCormick-Deering, he came to hate both of
> them after spending endless days operating them. :-)
>
> Mike

	Hi Mike:

	Another thing that the N Fords (or any of the other tractors of the day) were
 not designed for is a bush-hog type mower... I have often said that the rotary
mowers have turned more good old tractors into junk than any other tool. Neither
were any of those mowers that I ever used really built for the tractor. Those early tractor PTO's
 were never built with that much stress in mind. They were designed for a tiny combine
 and corn picker with a relatively steady load. We had an Allis hay chopper
 bought new in about 1948, I think, that was designed with a good over-running
clutch built into it. I never saw a rotary mower with one built into the mower. They
 may have been out there but I never saw one and I "lived" in the farm equipment
 section at all of the fairs.

	I did get pretty bored in the field and at 10 years old I should have never been
putting in those long 12 hour days but I did find a lot of respite out on the tractors
in the spring and summer. As long as I was out running the tractor I was pretty much
 away from my father's vicious temper and the frightening, frequent verbal and
physical abuse...

	Designing note: If anyone is looking at a low cost digital camera or a PDA take a
quick look at the "power" button. If it sticks up where dropping the unit in a pocket,
 purse (not me)   :-)   or briefcase can turn it on and run the battery down, throw it
back on the  counter and run...
	What could the fools possibly be thinking... Just how many smarts does it take to
realize that these things live in those environments... It falls in the same class as a
$10,000 piece of farm equipment where the owner fastens the PTO shaft up with a
piece of rusty baling wire because the factory was too busy patting themselves on the
 back to even consider that basic need... "Oh... you wanted wheels on that car too..."
:-)

--
"farmer"

I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack
me at once.   :-)

Refurbished Shopsmith's
Good used SPT's
http://www.indiana-robinson.0catch.com/