[AT] tractor question

ken knierim wild1 at cpe-66-1-196-61.az.sprintbbd.net
Sun Mar 19 18:17:43 PST 2006

Thanks for the replies. I had cut the slug out on my lathe and tried
making a puller with some all-thread. Pulled the threads off the 1/2
inch stuff. Got some 3/4" fine thread, same result.

Finally put 2 pieces of 3/4" all-thread thru the slug and ran them thru
some thick-walled square tubing and put a hydraulic jack under each
side. Pretty close to maxxed out the 6 ton but the 20 ton still had some
grunt left. Kept both pieces of all-thread tight (could tell by tapping
on them how tight they were... they rang at a pretty high pitch). #3 and
4 came out this way. #2 and #1 took all this and heating the block with
a big ole Harbor Freight propane torch before they would move.

They resisted but finally came out. Now I need to figure out how deep
the rust pits are in them to see whether I need to replace them or not.
I could not believe how much crap, rust, crud and junk was in the water
jacket... it was almost completely full! What a mess!

Ah, well... gotta do the job right and get all that crud out of there so
I can run around with it and not have it overheat... the wife likes JD
and I can't have my Case breaking down in front of folks! :)

Thanks again!

Ken