IH 100 mower (was Re: [Farmall] "new" mower needs ID

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Sat Mar 18 04:39:17 PST 2006

Must admit I haven't been following all of these posts on this subject but
here is how we used to lift our sickle mowers.

 We had 2 mowers, a JD pitman style and a balnced head IH, maybe a 100? Both
were bolted to the drawbars of the Super A's. The drawbars were reinforced
to keep from twisting. We used a 1/2"cable that ran to the rockershaft for
lifting.

For the JD mower we ran the cable under the center of the tractor and around
a pulley mounted where the front cultivator went. From there it went and
hooked in the rockershaft. I think we added a pulley on the mower frame
also.

The IH mower used a similair setup but we ran the cable over the left bull
gear housing to the "rear" rockershaft. I think we had to mount a "guide
ring" on the inside of the fender to keep the slack cable out of the wheel.
Again we mounted a pulley on the mower frame.

We have put the IH mower on our 454. We used one of the sway bars with holes
in it to mount it to the 3pt hitch arms. A small cylinder was used to lift
it. It needed samller lines or a restrictor becuse it lifted way too fast!!

For trimming around fields we mounted a solid rod to the cutter bar to hold
the IH mower at 90 deg. Worked great for keeping trees trimmed back. We
obviously would use an old balde for this.

John Hall