[AT] Waaay OT_Cell Phone Idiots

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Mon Mar 13 16:25:17 PST 2006

This could launch off into a political discussion very easily, but
rather than take any jabs at lawmakers, let me simply ask -- Do you
remember when tanker trucks used to have grounding chains attached under
the bed that dragged against the pavement?  Those things always produced
sparks as the truck sped down the highway.  I asked my Dad about the
incongruity of sparks and gasoline.  His answer was that the concern was
making some way of draining the static electricity off the rig when it
was stopped because a spark could occur in a dangerous location if the
chain wasn't there (such as at the opening of a nozzle when inserting it
into the filler of an underground tank.)  The same is still true today.
You don't want a spark anywhere close to the opening of your gas can or
the nozzle of the pump.  Therefore, make sure your plastic gas can is
grounded when filling it.

BTW, I was always impressed with the idea that the grounding chains on
tanker trucks were the same design as the chains on George's wheat drill
that were in back of each shoe to cover the seed.  George, in this case,
was our neighbor, George Gilleff -- an immigrant from Greek Macedonia
who besides being an old world farmer, was also an excellent brew
master.  He kept the entire Macedonian community supplied in home brew.

Larry