[AT] Fw: Steel

Larry & Barb Dotson dotson at loganrec.com
Sun Mar 5 11:52:30 PST 2006

Ron,
The 1018 is .18%  nominal carbon with little other alloying elements. The
last 2 digits are carbon and the first 2 are the family (group). mild steel
is 1008 or 1010. The 4000 series is for high strength steels. The 4130 is
used for high strength tubing.called aircraft tubing. This is the material
that all quality race car chassis are built from (encluding mine).
I don't have my books at home, but the others have varing other properties
for heat treating to obtain special properties.

Larry Dotson