[Steam-engine] Hand valve preference

EJHottel at aol.com EJHottel at aol.com
Tue Mar 28 11:24:31 PST 2006

Rick,
Pressure drop is not the main issue. Tight seal and fine flow adjustment  are
more critical in injector operation.
Penberthy specifies that globe valves shall be used on both suction and
delivery lines. They do not state a preference on the steam line. Globe valves
lend themselves to fine adjustment  and tight seal. Likewise the delivery  check
valve should have a tight seal, but I would not expect a check to seal  100%
of the time. That is why I always operate with delivery valves shut, except
when feeding water. To that end I use ball valves (the full flow type) for
delivery. For injectors several types of check valves will work, if a pump  is
involved a poppet type should be used.
Penberthy used to make "self grinding" globe valves. they are still
available from other manufacturers.
I recommend study of Bulletin 1500, available from Penberthy.
Good luck,

Jack Hottel
Peerless 50

-------------------------------1143573871

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2802" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV>Rick,</DIV>
<DIV>Pressure drop is not the main issue. Tight seal and fine flow adjustmen=
t=20
are more critical in injector operation.</DIV>
<DIV>Penberthy specifies that globe valves shall be used on both suction and=
=20
delivery lines. They do not state a preference on the steam line. Globe valv=
es=20
lend themselves to fine adjustment  and tight seal. Likewise the delive=
ry=20
check valve should have a tight seal, but I would not expect a check to seal=
=20
100% of the time. That is why I always operate with delivery valves shut, ex=
cept=20
when feeding water. To that end I use ball valves (the full flow type)=20=
for=20
delivery. For injectors several types of check valves will work, if a p=
ump=20
is involved a poppet type should be used.</DIV>
<DIV>Penberthy used to make "self grinding" globe valves. they are still=20
available from other manufacturers.</DIV>
<DIV>I recommend study of Bulletin 1500, available from Penberthy.</DIV>
<DIV>Good luck,</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Jack Hottel</DIV>
<DIV>Peerless 50</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>