[AT] Having battery problems--so how to fix?

D. Day ddss at telebeep.com
Fri Mar 24 20:57:46 PST 2006

Cat as in Caterpillar?

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Wilkens" <jwilkens at eoni.com>
To: <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2006 8:55 PM
Subject: [AT] Having battery problems--so how to fix?

Say you have 6 old tractors sitting outside through the winter and they all
have batteries in various conditions,   how's the best way to preserve them
for use the next season?   I've heard different things about this but never
paid much attention.    I assume you would take them out of the tractors
and:
1)  Put them on a wooden surface (heard that somewhere)?    2)  Charge them
up good and then leave them alone for say a month and then recharge
them?     3)  Keep them on a trickle charger all winter?    4)  Let them
drain off about 1/2 charge before recharging ?   5) Alternate between
trickle charging and regular battery charger charging?    6)  Or
?????              Another thing...I heard you could take an older weak
battery and hook it up to 40 or 60 amps for a short time to "rattle the
plates" to revive them.  Any truth in that?   (I tried it once on a shot
battery and all it did was heatup the battery and totally kill
it).    Whatever.  Over the years I've had pretty good luck with Cat
batteries....both 6 and 12 volt.     John W.

                    In the wide-open spaces of NE Oregon