[AT] testing a coil

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Wed Mar 22 20:15:24 PST 2006

My skidsteer had a Kohler K-582S engine.  I put up with that piece of junk
for 22 years.  Points would last from 3 hours to 100 hours.  The first set
gave out at 100 hours of use.  (I bought the machine new.)  My brother had
the same model machine, but got rid of his after 5 years because of point
problems which gave him a lot of trouble.  We (and the dealers) went
through the books several times, looking for causes and suspecting a
resister.  The books all said the coil had an internal resister, and thus
no other resister was required.   We tried everything (including replacing
the coil with a new one - $90) and nothing worked.  Thank God I'm finally
rid of that piece of junk.  (The engine, not the skidsteer.)  It got
replace with a 24hp Honda engine.

Greg Hass
Bad Axe