[AT] Testing a coil

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Mar 21 04:26:54 PST 2006

Steve brings up a point that I haven't seen mentioned on this thread:
all of the problems I have had with coils have been that they are seem
OK cold but fail when hot. Depending on the tractor involved, and the
location of the coil, it takes between 10 and 20 minutes for the coil to
get hot enough to cause it to start to break down. This problem can be
caused by someone converting from 6 to 12 volts and neglecting to put a
ballast resistor in line with the coil/distributor. (Burned points are a
sure sign of this situation.) Even with decent electronic test gear, I
have never been able to test a coil - you need to be able to test it
under load and heat. And, of course, a bad condenser will give you
exactly the same symptoms, so I usually change out the condenser before
spending money for a new coil.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

"If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
Juan Ramon Jimenez (1881-1958), Spanish writer