[AT] Testing a coil

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Mon Mar 20 20:48:37 PST 2006

My old distributor machine has a dedicated coil tester on it. What it
basically does is run the coil off a motorized set of points while it
sets inside a small heater unit. The heater gradually warms the coil
while the points cycle. It has an adjustable plug gap on it that you set
according to the chart (basically 6 volt coils get 3/8" gap and 12 volt
ones get 1/2") You actually start testing by putting the coil in the
freezer overnight. Then install it and crank up the tester. You let it
run until the temp on the coil hits 200 deg. If it sparks the entire
time it is good.
Don't see why one couldn't be built using an old distributor and a small
motor.

Steve Williams