[Steam-engine] Throttle valve

Blake blake at little-mountain.com
Sun Mar 19 07:40:29 PST 2006

I believe there are different grades of ball valves - some have brass
balls and seats and some have nylon seats, while some have stainless
balls and seats. I would get one made for the highest pressure and
with the most durable components. We have some 600 psi valves and
some 2000 psi ball valves at work. I think I'd use the 2000 psi
valves for what you are doing.

Blake

On Mar 19, 2006, at 10:05 AM, Richard Strobel wrote:

> Thanks Andy and Jack;
>   Seeing's as how we're not planning on working this engine too
> hard, I
> would think a ball valve would be ok...as a throttle.  Inch and a
> quarter
> into the gov.....inch and a half out of the boiler.
>
>   I can't picture in my mind why a gate and globe would be that
> different
> regarding pressure drop tho.  Maybe someone can explain it in
> layman terms.
>
>   And I'm sure down the road, I'll be playing with globe valves so
> will stay
> in touch.
>

>   Ya'll take care,
>
> Rick in snowy big sky