[AT] Re: TIG welding--a little OT

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 17 13:02:24 PST 2006

>   18. Re:  TIG welding--a little OT (charlie hill)
>Message: 18
>Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 09:42:57 -0500
>From: "charlie hill" <chill8 at cox.net>
>Subject: Re: [AT] TIG welding--a little OT
>To: "Antique tractor email discussion group"
>	<at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
>
>Bob,
>
>My guess is that it is a combination of the high frequency and the
>intensity
>of the flame.  Seems to me that the TIG flame is hotter and brighter than
>arc welding.  Have you ever TIG'd aluminum?  A friend of mine does a lot of
>that.  The walls in his shop are unpainted pre-cast concrete .  You can
>stand in his shop while he's TIGing aluminum with your back to him and the
>reflection off the walls is enough to make you feel like your eyes are
>getting burned.

Your eyes probably were getting burned.  Reflected arc light is quite
dangerous and you need the proper protective gear.  I will guess that one of
the reasons that you noticed more sunburn from TIG is the duration of the
arc.  TIG is rather slow compared to other methods therefore the arc must be
sustained longer than it would be for other methods.  You are simply exposed
to more arc time.