[AT] TIG welding--a little OT

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Fri Mar 17 04:46:40 PST 2006

I'll add slightly to this thread but tell you up front I'm not a TIG welder.
I have been around a lot of it for a long time.

Don't try to TIG weld in the wind.  You need to be in a protected area.  The
wind will blow your purge gas away from the weld.  Also, resist the urge to
save money by turning the presure down on the purge gas at least until you
get good at it and know what you can get away with.  As others said, the
purge gas is the flux and if there isn't enough or it blows away your
results will be ugly in both apperance and strength.

Oh yeah, not only do you need good gloves make sure you wear a long sleeve
shirt with a collar.  If you decide TIG in shorts and a Tee shirt you can
cancel your appointment at the tanning booth!  grins.

Charlie