[Farmall] RE: RE: IH 100 mower

Kurt Musgrave rvar at plainstel.com
Fri Mar 17 06:08:51 PST 2006

Growing up we had a 100 balanced head mower we used on the 350 Utility.  We
also had an older pitman type, not sure the model, 27-??, that we used on
the farmall 300.  Dad for some reason unknown to me did not like the 100.
He always mowed hay using the older pitman one.  Only time the 100 got used
was when there was someone else to run it and mow using both.  I remember
the 100 still having the paint pretty good on it when dad traded it off for
an 816 mower-conditioner.  The 816 had been converted from the "flick bar"
to the rotating drum with rubber fingers, it worked good, but there was some
kind of problem with it as it would break the sickle head off quite often.
We used the 816 for a few years and then it got traded on a Hesston 500
swather.  I now have a 1000 9 ft. balanced head trailing type that was my
father in law's that I use on the M for mowing around the yard.  It works
real nice on the M.  I have a Hesston 1014+2 I mow hay with and I don't
think I have ever cut 40 acres without having something break on it.  I
would really love to find an old IH 5000 swather and get rid of my 1014.

Kurt