Fwd: [AT] Waaay OT

Phil Auten pga2 at hot1.net
Sun Mar 12 19:01:58 PST 2006

Larry,
It is plausible. The copper would act like a shield around the room.
When I was working for Texas Instruments in their defense business.
we had "screen rooms" to work on some electronic equipment.
These were literally rooms framed in wood and covered with screen,
which I remember as being brass. Brass is an alloy of copper and tin
or zinc (or maybe both). These rooms prevented outside radio frequency
interference from affecting the equipment we were working on as well
as preventing anything we were working on from interfering with anything
else in the vicinity. Seemed to work quite well.
As far as the copper paint goes, the walls would have to be tied to ground.
Easy enough to do. The paint would have to contain a very large amount
of copper in order for it to work. It would seem to me that this could be
accomplished in much the same way as our "screen rooms" were built.
Simply put the screen behind the wallboard. I don't think the copper
paint would work quite as well, but perhaps I'm wrong. Never have seen
it done, so what do I know?

Phil