[AT] Test 2

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Sat Mar 11 13:20:22 PST 2006

The entire problem is caused by two items.
One is that HTML character sets are usually different than plain text.
ISO-8859-6 is an Arabic set, however the entire ISO-8859 series is also
primarily used with HTML coding in messages. Mainly because there are
HTML flags that need to use different characters so they do not get
interpreted wrong on the other end. The reason why some are being asked
to install other sets is very simple. When OE/Outlook or whatever was
originally installed the person doing the install used the default
install. That install looks at what fonts and sets  you already have in
the machine and the ones you are using and decides that you probably
don't need any of the myriad of sets available for install and it
installs only the basic set. Now along comes someone using a different
set and your machine looks and says, OOPS I need this character set to
read this message properly or my owner might get upset when the message
comes out  "&^^**%^tyR$%&yry" Instead of  "you just won 5 million
dollars" so it asks you to allow it. The reason why it is happening on
Henrys message is due only to that character set, nothing else.

The second problem is harder to cure. Namely that some folks just have
to use HTML in messages (have being two options, program doesn't allow
changes OR people running the machine don't want to change it) and as a
result you get a message with odd character sets to make those
characters appear "special" (folks who are unaware of this problem are
exempt from this category simply because they don't know about the
problem) The second half of it is the machines that are set with all
default settings. Those include the setting option of Plain text vs HTML
(default is HTML) and "reply to message in the format in which it was
sent"(default is ON). In the default position a message that comes in
with an odd character set will be sent out with the same set and any
reply will also use the same set. So if I sent out a message in HTML a
machine set to defaults will reply in kind, however a machine set up for
only plain text won't.

In short there isn't any bug in those messages just a different
character set that many do not have installed.

Now back to your regular spring fever tractor chat...

Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown, New York