[AT] 8-volt batteries in 6-volt tractors

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Mar 10 16:27:11 PST 2006

Yes, most of the cars and trucks that I have seen from the 40s--50s up this
way all had a heater but a pretty meagre output as I recall. Those were the
days of "frost shields" on the inside of every window in the vehicle to
maintain a small area of visibillity after the rest of the glass was covered
over with frost. With only the driver the heater might manage to keep the
windows defrosted but with a family it was hopeless. The frost shields I
recall as a kid were the plastic, stick on variety but I still have a set of
real glass frost shields that my Dad used on his 39 Ford windows.
Of course this is likely all foreign language to anybody from the south
country where such extremes of cold are not encountered.
Thank goodness that today's vehicles have heaters that are up to the task of
keeping us warm and defrosted while driving.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/