[AT] 8-volt batteries in 6-volt tractors

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Fri Mar 10 14:51:30 PST 2006

On Friday 10 March 2006 16:04, ken knierim wrote:
>     When I was growing up (albeit a bit later than some folks on the
> list), the old cars and trucks (Chevy's, Ford's, International's, no
> experience with Caddy's from that era) from the 40's and 50's in the
> area had heaters. You may have grown up in a temperate part of

I'm not near old enough to remember this, but the old timers I know told me in
clear terms that a heater was an optional accessory up until the 50s, and NO
farmer would ever spend money on such an option.

Of course back then the horse was just retired, and still in everyone's mind.
I've never seen a horse drawn implement with a heater, nor is there any
obvious way to add one.   (though I suspect some rich folk now and then have
figured out how)  Farmers were used to working outside in the bitter cold
without help.     Having done so myself, I can honestly say I would rather be
working outside when it is -20 than when it is +90.