[AT] 8-volt batteries in 6-volt tractors

DAVIESW739 at aol.com DAVIESW739 at aol.com
Fri Mar 10 08:38:58 PST 2006

Larry you live in a dream world. the rest of us were lucky to own a car  with
a heater even in the fifties. I had a 46 Pontiac with a built in heater my
mother's 46 Chevy had a Southwind gas heater add on.  My 50 Ford pickup had
nothing, lights that would go out every once in a while leaving you in the  dark
until something clicked and they came back on.  maybe your father had  some
good ideas but you know what the factories don't always go with the best
system they go with the one that is cheapest and easiest to produce. I didn't  know
what air conditioning was until I bought my 91 Ranger its just not a big
thing out here on the North coast.
Power windows were around in the early days my friend stored a 47 Lincoln
here last summer with power windows they were hydraulic not electric. But that
doesn't mean they were common only if you were rich very rich and could afford
 those things. Most of us had cars with no heater no radio no air
conditioning, just 4 wheel and maybe a spare and 6 cylinders yes even a Ford was  more
common with the 6 than 8 cylinder.
OH my very first car was a 37 Plymouth coupe and it had a radio tucked up
under the dash over the steering column with remote controls to the dash. It
didn't work very well because the antennas were under the running boards and I
lived way out in the country where they had to pipe in the sunlight.
Just because some cars had something other than 4 wheel and an engine
doesn't mean they were the norm.

Walt  Davies
Cooper Hollow Farm
Monmouth, OR 97361