[AT] 8-volt batteries in 6-volt tractors

Bill Brueck b2 at chooka.net
Thu Mar 9 08:06:24 PST 2006

I guess the easiest way for you might be to jump start the tractor and let
it charge the battery.

I made a trickle charger out of an old furnace transformer and an alternator
diode.  It runs at such low amperage I can get away with charging 6 or 12
volt batteries or anything in between and I keep a volt meter on the battery
so I know when it's had enough.  I mostly use this to charge lead-acid
batteries out of computer battery backup units, these are convenient to run
buzz coils on stationary engines.

Others on the list may have opinions about this process, that's good.
Ignorance is bliss and I'm a pretty happy guy.

Regarding Mike's comment about the Ford generator not putting out, I am
unfamiliar with the setup on the tractor itself but I worked at an auto
electric shop during college and the Ford generators were anything but wimpy
and the voltage would shoot right up with the best of them on the test
stand.  The coil overheating is a good point, it seems like when my father
in law converted an IH M to 8 volts he replaced the coil.  My own experience
with this would have been on magneto tractors.

B²

Bill Brueck (brick)
Chatfield, MN, USA

Confusion is a higher state of knowledge than ignorance.