[AT] 8-volt batteries in 6-volt tractors

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Mar 9 06:41:09 PST 2006

 From what I understand, your Ford's 6 volt generator & cutout will
charge the 8 volt battery up to about 6.75 volts, so you really will
gain nothing. On a tractor with a "normal" three terminal voltage
regulator, I understand that it is possible to adjust it to put out 8.9
volts (which is what you need to charge an 8 volt battery properly). If
you do that, your lights will last maybe an hour or so and then burn
out. And I know of no 8 volt replacement tractor lamps. Your coil will
also run hot at the higher voltage.

But, as many folks have said before, if the tractor won't start on the 6
volts it was designed for, then your problem isn't the battery; it is
something else - ignition, wiring, rings, valves, etc. Higher battery
voltage may help for a while, but you haven't fixed the problem. On the
other hand, if your battery/generator is shot, you need brighter lights
for night work, you need to start in bitter cold, or some other issue,
then you might as well just "bite the bullet" and do a proper complete
12 volt conversion.

Mike

--

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image
when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.
-Anne Lamott, writer (1954- )