[AT] 8-volt batteries in 6-volt tractors

D. Day ddss at telebeep.com
Thu Mar 9 05:55:36 PST 2006

TSC has quit stocking 6-volt batteries and replaced them with 8-volt. The
sticker on the 8-volt battery states that the 'extra 2 volts helps antique
vehicles start easier.'

Several years ago, a friend suggested that I buy an 8-volt for a Ford 2N
that I was working on. Once I installed it, I found that the charging system
on the 2N wasn't keeping up with the task and I was unsure exactly how to
charge an 8-volt battery with my 6-volt/12-volt charger.

I called Exide, the company that made the 8-volt battery, and finally spoke
with an engineer. He suggested strongly that 8-volt batteries should never
be used in any application that was not designed to maintain an 8-volt
battery.  He said that typically the on-board 6-volt charging systems are
not adequate and except for a few industrial machines, no one makes an
8-volt charger.  According to him, charging an 8-volt battery with a 6-volt
charger doesn't work and charging it with a 12-volt charger is dangerous.

Anyone have experience with 8-volt batteries?

Dick Day