[AT] radio

Chris Britton c.britton at worldnet.att.net
Wed Mar 8 18:12:32 PST 2006

I've built plenty of custom arial's to satisfy my shortwave listening and
Ham station habits... I can think of a couple easy options for you.

Build a 1/2 wave dipole or yaggie ( with the ''driven element'' tuned to: )
tuned either for the center of the band, or a specific frequency... a
favorite station for instance... Run 300ohm twin lead from the antenna down
to the radio.. aligator clip one leg to the antenna, and the other leg to a
ground common with the radio.

This makes for a great signal.  If you choose yaggie ( by the way.. think of
the yaggie as a stereotypical 'tv' antenna ), you can buy el-cheapo tv
antenna boosters that also boost fm.. ratschack sells them.. easy way to get
5-10-20 db of gain plus the 3 or so from your antenna rig..  One thing
though.. dipoles and yaggies are directional... dipole will have a 180'
swing.. yaggie , depending on the number, and how you mount the reflectors
will vary..

You could also do the coax style single wire antenna.. it will not pick up
as well.. .. but won't be directional.  However, a trip to an auto store or
ratschack and you can get a 'car radio' antenna booster... that and a 12v
wall wart and a filter capacitor and you will get some cheap gain as well.

Easiest dipole or yaggie design for the home tinkerer is pvc pipe and zip
cable.. make a big "T" out of pipe.. zip tie a section of wire across the
top.  strip and wire the 2 wires together at each end,  use a weather
resistant grease filled wire nut.  Then at the center of the "T", cut one of
the wires, and hook one side toeach end of the 300 ohm twin lead...  A yagie
is built the same way, as only the driven element is wired.  The rest of the
elements are reflectors and are tuned for harmonics and lower/higher
bands... U channel aluminum makes great reflectors, and can be zip tied to
the pvc arms.. just cut to length with a hacksaw... none of these
measurements has to be super duper precise... the rf input section on modern
rf equipment is virtually bullet proof since pll has been around..

Sink a larger piece of pvc pipe in the ground, leaving 4' or so topside...
outside your window, and use it as the sleave for your antenna mast to set
in..   set your antenna mast in it.. perhaps att a 't' in the middle with a
short 4" piece sticking out as a way to turn your mast to tune it... it will
be quite directional.

Should be about a 30 minute 15$ fun project for just the antenna
components.. I suspect an rf amp of either the 12vac or 12vdc varietey will
double that cost.. Also.. if you like the dipole / ballanced line idea.. but
want to go with coax for the use of an amt.. get a balun... that is.. an
impeadance matcher.. the little thingy with an "F" tv connector on it, then
the 300 ohm twin leads.. you can get them male or female.. also, ratschack
sells the gm and common motorola car antenna adapter plugs to go from F to
car radio styel, so whatever amp design you choose, it will work...

Ok.. now the magic... the formula for calculating antenna length based on
freq.  This won't be precise, as this calc is rated for freq's up to 56mhz,
however, it's one of those 'horseshoe issues, as I use this as my quick rule
of thumb for basic fm antenna calcs...

462, divided by the freq in mhz.. thus for 88mhz, the low end of the band..
5.25' is the half wave size for the antenna.  Jump to 108 mhz on the top
side, and you have 4.27'  If you wanted it int he middle of the band, ..
4.71' .... however.. if you have a favorite station.. I'd tune it to that
instead..

I've brushed over 95% of the real math and other technical important minutia
for the sake of 'easy'....so for all the other rf , and EE people out there,
keep that in mind when you fire off your comments..

de Ke4rrd

73's

Soundguy