[AT] Termites in your mulch?

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Wed Mar 8 14:56:03 PST 2006

I used to be able to go down to my local convenience store or favorite
Big Box store and buy a few bags of mulch every year for the flower beds
around the house.  But that was before my wife got herself certified as
a Master Gardener.  Now, the bagged stuff is not satisfactory -- wrong
wood, wrong mixture, etc -- so I have to go out and buy the bulk stuff
at one of the local nurseries by the truck load.  Last year, I think I
filled the pickup six times before the season was over.  Each load is a
cubic yard of mulch.

I'm more concerned about the Emerald Ash Borer than I am about the
Formosan Termites.  Theoretically, we aren't infested yet, but I've lost
a couple dozen trees out of the yard --- all but two of them were ash.

Larry