[AT] Termites in your mulch?

Bob Seith seithr at denison.edu
Wed Mar 8 12:15:57 PST 2006

Sounds like enough sources have weighed in re: termite potential in
mulch that I don't need to add to the discussion. But I WILL mention
another problem that crops up when people use lots and lots of  bark
mulch around their landscape plantings up here in Ohio. You get
infestations of grubs later on. Whether they came in the mulch or
arrived via egg-laying insects is unknown to me. All I can say is that
you sometimes end up with grubs.

They don't really hurt much, but they attract SKUNKS that dig them up as
delicacies. And if you have dogs, the dogs like to go out and chase the
"striped kitties," who respond as nature provided. Then you have smelly
dogs to deal with.

Been there, done that.

Barkley Beagle has never had an encounter with a skunk. But my sister's
dogs have. And I, being the good brother I am, have bathed smelly dogs.
Too many times.

Best,
Bob Seith
1953 Farmall Cub