[AJD] AR starting problems

Tommy Wilson t17wilson at cox.net
Mon Mar 6 19:45:48 PST 2006

         Hope everyone hasn't left to go to the GOG. I'm in need of
some help!

         We tried to start the AR tonight but it didn't want to go.
We timed the magneto according to the operator's manual and the left
cylinder is firing when it calls for the left impulse. I don't have
the fuel tank on but rigged a hose with a funnel attached to act as a
temporary tank. It is pulling gas in as the engine cranks. I'm
thinking if the timing was off the engine would flood, thus the plugs
would be wet. When we take them out they are dry! There is no
muffler, just the exhaust pipe. I put my hand over it to check the
exhaust stroke and noticed that there is a definite sucking on the
exhaust as well as the two exhaust strokes. Is there a reason for
this? I don't know where the gas is going but still don't understand
why the plugs aren't wet. Any ideas?

         The carb was rebuilt by Burrey's. What settings should I use
on the idle and load nozzles? The load was about 3/4 of a turn open
and I increased it to about 2 turns open to try to get more gas. If I
can convince myself it's flooding then I'll worry about the timing.
Am I going down the wrong road? Thanks for any suggestions.    Tommy

Tommy Wilson
Ruston, LA
1950 IH H
1950 JD AR